1. Hello, listening friends.
2. What a delight it is to know that you are on the other side listening to this program
3. We have been celebrating Christmas by talking about the birth of Jesus
4. And we will continue to do the same today
5. The Bible said...that there were wise men...who came from afar to Jerusalem saying:
6. "Where is that newborn King of the Jews for we have seen his star in the East and have come to worship him.”
7. The reason these men are called "wise"...is because they have responded to the call of God...through a star.
8. They came to worship the one and only God who had come in human body.
9. Listening friends, listen very carefully to what I am going to tell you
10. Foolishness is the opposite of wisdom.
11. If wisdom is the responding to the call of God,...
12. then foolishness is a rejection and the indifference to the Christ of Christmas.
13. And just as God used a star to communicate to these astrologers the "Good News" of Christ:
14. Today he uses human stars...
15. he uses events and circumstances.
16. he uses his Word, the Bible.
17. The wise will receive it and obey it...
18. but the foolish will reject it and ignore it.
19. Wisdom is at a premium these days.
20. Wisdom is getting scarce in our generation.
21. Yet, we desperately need it today more than any other time in history.
22. Now I want you to contrast these wise men of the Bible,...
23. with a group of other men who were in a boat on the coast of England.
24. It was some time ago...
25. when there was one of those famous gale storms that are known to sweep the coast.
26. A ship was wrecked and was sending a distress signal.
27. As soon as the distress signal was heard,...
28. a gallant life boat crew started speedily answering the call.
29. On reaching the wreck,...
30. the lifeboat crew witnessed a scene of horror and deprivation.
31. The captain of the ill-fated vessel...
32. was totally drunk.
33. He was standing on board and would not enter the lifeboat.
34. This madman refused to avail himself of the messengers of mercy sent to him in that moment of imminent danger.
35. Unlike the Wise Men from the East at the birth of Jesus,...
36. this drunk captain would not respond to the star sent to him to lead him to salvation.
37. But that is not all:
38. Not only would he not enter into the lifeboat himself...
39. but he also drew his revolver, threatening to shoot the first man who would dare to jump from the sinking wreck into the lifeboat.
40. All the entreating of the coast guard was in vain.
41. The drunkard captain was bent, not only on his own destruction,...
42. but also the destruction of his crew, stubbornly refusing to leave the shipwreck.
43. Six of the crewmen who were also drunk joined the captain in his foolish refusal to enter the lifeboat.
44. Finally and reluctantly, the Captain of the lifeboat ordered his men to head back to shore.
45. They took with them the precious few who dared to defy their Captain's wrath.
46. As the lifeboat was heading back to shore...
47. about halfway...
48. there was a lull in the storm and over the waters came a wailing cry:
49. "Lifeboat!"... "Lifeboat!"... "Lifeboat!"
50. Once more the gallant men pushed off toward the wreck.
51. But alas... it was too late.
52. The wretched Captain and six men had sunk beneath the boiling surf.
53. They had vainly called for the rejected lifeboat when it was too late.
54. The day of the first Christmas...
55. was more than just the day a baby was born of a virgin in Bethlehem.
56. The day of the first Christmas...
57. was God's sending of a lifeboat to humanity.
58. The day of the first Christmas...
59. was God's rescue mission to humanity.
60. It was God's rescue mission from sin... guilt... death and destruction.
61. God became flesh in order that we may enter into heaven and be saved from hell.
62. And these wise men responded by coming and worshiping Jesus.
63. What type of star was it?
64. What shape star was it?
65. How bright was the star?
66. All of this does not matter, any more than the shape or the type of lifeboat that was seeking to rescue the foolish seamen.
67. What matters is that they followed and obeyed the direction of the star.
68. They did not waste their time analyzing it.
69. They did not waste their time studying it.
70. They did not waste their time speculating on its nature.
71. They did not waste their time comparing it with other stars.
72. They did not waste their time doubting its reality.
73. They did not waste their time merely admiring it.
74. They did not waste their time waiting for more evidence.
75. They followed the star's leading.
76. They went where the star took them.
77. They went in obedience responding to its leading.
78. Perhaps there is a star in your life...
79. a star that is trying to point you to the King of Kings,...
80. A star that is trying to point you to the only lifeboat out of future destruction.
81. Perhaps there is a star that is trying to point you to the only one who can give your life meaning and satisfaction.
82. Perhaps there is a star that is trying to point you to the only one who will fill the empty void that you have.
83. Perhaps that star in your life is your mother or your father.
84. Perhaps it is one of your children.
85. Perhaps it is a brother or a sister.
86. Perhaps it is a wife or a husband.
87. Perhaps it is a friend or a companion.
88. These stars in your life have prayed for you.
89. They have pointed the way to you.
90. They have tried to lead you to the only One who can save your soul.
91. O, this day can be the day in which you say, “yes” to Jesus.
92. The baby in the manger... miraculously born of a virgin...
was God of Very God.
93. "I am the way, the only way...”
94. “I am the truth, the ultimate truth...”
95. “I am the only life giver, including eternal life."
96. "I am the only one who is your lifeboat in the midst of the deadly storm of life."
97. "I am the only one who can transform your life and give it meaning and fulfillment and identity."
98. My listening friends, let me entreat you today:
99. Don't waste your time running after or following other stars...
1. they will only lead you to destruction.
2. Self-absorption...and self-gratification...will only lead you to diseases and mental disorder.
3. Seeking after temporary pleasures will lead you to emptiness and despondency.
4. Be wise this day.
5. Follow the star that will lead you to the only One who really loves you.
6. He loves you even when you ignore Him.
7. He loves you even when you reject Him.
8. He loves you even when you defy Him.
9. He loves you even when you could not love yourself.
10. With an outstretched arm He is saying to you:
11. "Come to me...
12. all who are empty and I will fill you."
13. "Come to me...
14. all who are ready to give up on life...I will give it meaning and purpose."
15. "Come to me...
16. all who are trying so hard but your efforts...are leading you nowhere."
17. "Come, for I have been waiting for you"...
18. “I have sent you one message after another”
19. "Today, hear my clear and unequivocal message of love because I will not wait forever."
20. Just like that lifeboat in the story which had to depart at some point,
21. in the same way, the Bible says that the day is coming when God's door of mercy will be shut.
22. When that happens, where will you be?
23. There is no telling how long it took these Wise Men to come from Persia or even possibly further East all the way to Jerusalem.
24. Travel was difficult in those days.
25. There were hostile tribes along the way.
26. There were broad rivers like the Tigress and Euphrates to be crossed.
27. There were trackless deserts to penetrate.
28. Yet they came to Jesus...
29. they followed his loving signal.
30. You too must come to Him no matter what it costs you.
31. Is it going to cost you your friends?
32. God will give you new and loving friends.
33. Is it going to cost you giving up alcohol?
34. The spirit of God will fill you with love and joy so that you won't need any other substance.
35. Is it going to cost you a lifestyle that you know is wrong and plaguing you with guilt?
36. God will free you and release you from its grip.
37. Will you come today and enter into God's lifeboat, the Christ of Christmas?
38. When the Wise Men finally came to Jerusalem they went about asking, "Where is the newborn King?"
39. Most of the citizens in Jerusalem, rich or poor...did not understand what they were talking about.
40. They were all thinking that King Herod was their king.
41. Herod wanted no competition for his throne.
42. It is very much the same today... nothing has changed.
43. Although Jesus, the King of Kings was born 2000 years ago...
44. and we have all the historical evidence that we need about him,...
45. although we have singularly been blessed by Him,...
46. don't try to find Jesus in the main square of the city...
47. they know Him not there.
48. But seek Him in His word...
49. for He is to be found in the pages of this sacred book.
50. This book will tell you that the baby was none other than God Incarnate...
51. God in human flesh.
52. The Bible will tell you that Jesus was born to die a violent death.
54. So that He may pay for the penalty of your sin...
55. and build the bridge between you and His father.
56. He died so that He may make it possible for you and for me to call God, "Our Father."
57. He died so that He may make it possible for you and for me to live the life of ultimate fulfillment...
58. and then spend eternity with Him.
59. When the Wise Men finally came to Jesus:
60. Their perplexity was over.
61. Their search was over.
62. Their frustration was over.
63. They had found life's ultimate fulfillment.
64. That same peace and joy can be yours today
65. You can say goodbye to searching.
66. You can say goodbye to perplexity.
67. You can say goodbye to frustration.
68. When Jesus Christ is born in your heart today,
69. you will be a new creature.
70. To you, He will not be just the Lord of the universe...
71. but He becomes your Lord,... and the Lord of your life.
72. He will be your guide...
73. He will be your rudder...
74. even in the midst of the choppy waters of circumstances.
75. Will you respond to His call of rescue?
76. Will you say yes to Jesus?
77. Will you say... "Come Lord Jesus, be born in my heart today."
78. it is our prayer that your answer would be yes
79. until next time I wish you God’s richest blessing.