1. Hello, listening friends.
2. We are delighted you joined us today.
3. We are going to conclude this series of messages on the real meaning of Christmas
4. It is our prayer that God used these messages to bless your life
5. And I want to begin by asking you a question
6. I wonder how many of us started this morning by looking in the mirror!
7. Most of us do that as a form of ritual.
8. We do it before or during our morning ablutions.
9. Why do we look in the mirror?
10. So that we know we look our best before we start the day.
11. Why do we want to look our best?
12. Because we want to present our best to our friends and colleagues.
13. Because we want to present our best to the world.
14. Because we want to present our best to all who know us and those who don't.
15. During this Christmas season, I have been talking to you about the meaning of Christmas.
16. What does talking about looking in the mirror have to do with Christmas, you might ask?
17. On that very first Christmas day, God presented us with His best self.
18. His Word became flesh.
19. What would you see if you could look into a mirror that showed us our inner selves?
20. not the mirror that shows outward appearance.
21. I’m talking about mirrors that show us... our strengths and our weaknesses.
22. Mirrors that show us... our nature as it really is.
23. Mirrors that reveal... our virtues and our vices.
24. Mirrors that reveal... the truth about who we are and what we think.
25. Mercifully, perhaps we don't have such a mirror.
26. Yet, the Bible said that the Word of God should be to us like a mirror.
27. On that first Christmas day,...
28. God in Jesus Christ focused such a mirror upon himself.
29. On that first Christmas day, God was saying the following:
30. “In my Son I am revealing my inner being.”
31. “In my Son I am revealing my character.”
32. “In my Son I am revealing my glory.”
33. “In my Son I am revealing my love.”
34. “In my Son I am revealing my majesty.”
35. “In my Son I am revealing my mercy and grace.”
36. “In my Son I am revealing my justice.”
37. John said:
38. "The word became flesh."
39. Paul said:
40. "God was manifested in the flesh."
41. Paul said:
42. "He is the image of the invisible God."
43. That is the essence of the Christian faith.
44. And that is why it is the stumbling block to so many people.
45. How can God reveal himself in only one... and one person alone... named Jesus Christ?
46. Some people say, God cannot become man.
47. Other people say, God is in everyone and everyone is God.
48. Still others say, God is in the trees and in nature... and nature is God.
49. But God said:
50. “I became human flesh once... in the person of my son.”
51. “I revealed myself in one person and one person alone... His name is Jesus.”
52. God looked in the mirror and said:
53. “I reflected what I am like supremely in Jesus of Nazareth.”
54. “I reflected my image once and for all in Him.”
55. “I manifested myself, fully... only once in Him.”
56. God's image was given supernaturally in a virgin's womb...
57. so He could be fully God... and fully man.
58. He was like all men... but different from all men.
59. He felt what you feel...
60. yet... he lived above His feelings.
61. He was tempted like you are tempted...
62. but He never sinned.
63. He experienced what you experienced...
64. but was always victorious.
65. Isaiah said 700 years before Christ was born:
66. "The virgin will conceive a son. His name is Immanuel, God with us."
67. John said,...
68. "The Word became flesh."
69. Paul said,...
70. "God was manifested in flesh."
71. Most people would be... happy to call Jesus a great man.
72. But if we treated Jesus as merely one of the other heroes of goodness,
73. everybody would be happy with Christianity.
74. But God said:
75. "This is my beloved son."
76. Many people would be very receptive to the Christian message...
if we merely declared that Jesus was great like any other earthly leader.
77. But God said:
78. “Jesus, is my Only begotten Son.”
79. He stands in His uniqueness above and beyond all men.
80. Yet, He was a real man.
82. Because he existed with the Father before all of creation.
83. In John 8:58 He tells us of his pre-existing power:
84. "Before Abraham was, I AM."
85. In John 17:5, He tells us about His pre-existing glory:
86. "Father, glorify me... with the glory with which I had with you before the world was."
87. In John 10:30 He tells of his pre-existing equality with the Father:
88. "I and my father are one."
89. John 1:3 tells us that: “Through him all things were made and without him nothing was made that was made.”
90. Colossians 1:16 tells us:
91. "For in him ALL things were created in heaven and in earth... visible and invisible, whether thrones, or dominions or principalities or authorities, all things were created through him and for him."
92. Can you imagine what that is?
93. God made all of the universe.
94. In reality, God made all of the “universes” as scientists are discovering how vast space really is.
95. Let me give you some examples
96. A star named Betelgeuse is 880 quadrillion miles away.
97. The light that you see from Betelgeuse tonight left there 150 years ago,
98. and has been moving at a speed of 186,000 miles a second.
99. It would take a jet liner traveling at the speed of 700 miles an hour 16 million years to get to the North Star.
100. The God who made all of these galaxies,...
1. the God who upholds all of these galaxies,...
2. is the God who sent His son from heaven to be born of a virgin.
3. Jesus stands alone... in his purity and dignity of character.
4. Jesus stands alone... in his holiness and sinlessness.
5. Jesus stands alone... in impacting humanity for good.
6. Jesus stands alone... in the supremacy of his splendor.
7. It would be ludicrous beyond measure to compare him with other men in history.
8. All the great generals of history conquered with power
9. Jesus conquered hearts with his love.
10. The other great men of history... have invaded lands far and wide.
11. Jesus invaded whole societies with His light.
12. Other great men in history... have ruled with an iron fist.
13. Jesus rules hearts by the strength of His compassion.
14. Other great men of history have changed nations by terror and arms.
15. Jesus changed hearts and nations by the sheer force of his compelling love.
16. Other great men in history... have compelled the allegiance of their subjects through the use of force.
17. Jesus receives allegiance voluntarily and willingly.
18. Other great men of history... have acted partially and unfairly.
19. Jesus is always fair... and just.
20. John said:
21. "The word became flesh."
22. Paul said:
23. " God was manifested in the flesh."
24. Socrates taught for 40 years,...
25. Plato taught for 50 years,...
26. and Aristotle taught for 40 years.
27. But Jesus taught only for 3 years.
28. Yet, the influence of Jesus' 3 years of teaching...
29. infinitely transcends the impact left by the combined 130 years of teaching from these great philosophers in history.
30. John said:
31. "The word became flesh."
32. Paul said:
33. "God was manifested in the flesh."
34. Jesus painted no pictures.
35. Yet, some of the finest paintings the world’s greatest painters received their inspiration from him.
36. Jesus wrote no poetry.
37. Yet, scores of the world's greatest poets were inspired by him.
38. Jesus composed no music.
39. Yet, many of the world’s greatest musicians all reached their highest achievement when they composed and sang in His praise.
40. John said:
41. "The word became flesh."
42. Paul said:
43. "God was manifested in the flesh."
44. Not only does the evidence of His divinity scream loud and clear,
45. but also the absoluteness of his sovereignty is indisputable.
46. He said of his life:
47. “I have power to lay down my life... and I have power to take it again.”
48. No one else ever claimed that!
49. No one ever tried that.
50. Yet, Jesus declared it.
51. And He did it,
52. when he willingly died on the cross to pay for the penalty for your sins and mine.
53. He... with authority and power dismissed His own spirit.
54. And then on the third day...
55. He assumed His spirit once again on resurrection morning.
56. No one else has ever done that!
57. Ever since the time Jesus was incarnate in human flesh...
58. people could not ignore him.
59. They either submit to Him... or resist Him.
60. They either receive the eternal life that He gives or condemn themselves eternally.
61. They either accept His authority... or they rebel against Him.
62. They either crown Him sovereign over their lives... or run away as spiritual fugitives and die eternally lost.
63. Not only were the claims of His divinity clear,...
64. not only was His absolute sovereignty indisputable,...
65. but also, the power of His forgiveness is unprecedented.
66. In Matthew 9:6:
67. before He cured the paralyzed man,...
68. Jesus said to him:
69. “Your sins are forgiven.”
70. No one ever has ever come to the Lord Jesus Christ in repentance... and has not received forgiveness.
71. He alone as the God/Man could forgive and save.
72. John said:
73. “God's Word became flesh.”
74. Paul said:
75. “In Jesus Christ God was manifested in the flesh.”
76. Not only is his divinity clear,...
77. not only is his sovereignty absolute,...
78. not only is his power of forgiveness unprecedented,...
79. but finally:
80. He is the only one who can satisfy our deepest needs.
81. If you look at nature, it is beautiful and magnificent...
82. but it gives no answer to your faith.
83. If you study history, you will find it interesting...
84. yet confusing and full of contradictions.
85. But turn to Jesus Christ and you will hear him saying to a weary and restless mankind;
86. "Come unto me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest."
87. The reason the Lord Jesus Christ is as relevant today... as He was in the day of His earthly life,...
88. is because He is God's Word.
89. He is God's final expression;
90. And God's word can never be outdated or become obsolete.
91. He is indestructible... and indispensable.
92. He is always available... and accessible.
93. He is the center of history... and the fulfillment of all prophecies.
94. He is the dynamic power of all authority.
95. He is the intrinsic wealth of all spiritual values.
96. He is the realistic expression of the Godhead.
97. He is the image of the invisible God.
98. He is unbounded, unlimited, and unconfined.
99. Isn't that incredible beyond words?
1. God, who has the universe in the palms of His hand...
2. wants to befriend you and save you.
3. Will you say “Yes”, to Jesus?
4. Until next time, I wish you God’s richest blessing.