1. Hello listening friends, and welcome to this brand new series of messages
2. We are going to begin a series of messages entitled, “The Blessings of Surrender”
3. And I want to begin by asking you a question
4. Have you ever been at a place in your life when you felt inadequate?
5. Have you ever been at a place where you have actually convinced yourself that you have nothing to offer.
6. Have you ever felt that you have nothing, whatsoever, that is worthwhile?
7. Whenever you get to this point in your life, . . .
8. you can start rejoicing.
9. Whenever you feel spiritual depression, poverty, and inadequacy
10. that is the very time when God wants to fill you with joy, richness and liberty like you have never seen before.
11. Does God bless everyone who gets to this point?
12. The answer is no
14. The key is your willingness to surrender the little that you have to the Lord.
15. In today's message, the first of a series entitled "The Blessing of Surrender”
16. In this message we are going to see the following
17. A woman who reached the place of bankruptcy
18. A woman who hit rock bottom . . .
19. 19)A woman who had less than nothing.
20. We will see a woman who was facing shame and embarrassment.
21. a woman who had no way of meeting her obligations.
22. The only thing left for her to do was to cast herself on the mercy of the man of God.
23. Is this despair a picture of your life?
24. Do you feel overwhelmed with life's obligations?
25. Do you feel drowned by the flood of your circumstances?
26. Have you reached the point of such desperation . . . that you don't know which way to turn?
27. Stay tuned . . . because God wants you to turn to God's man who is seated at His right hand.
28. God wants you to turn to Jesus Christ and ask for His intervention in your situation.
29. Let’s read about this woman in II Kings, chapter 4
4:1 The wife of a man from the company of the prophets cried out to Elisha, "Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that he revered the LORD. But now his creditor is coming to take my two boys as his slaves."
2 Elisha replied to her, "How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?" "Your servant has nothing there at all," she said, "except a little oil."
3 Elisha said, "Go around and ask all your neighbors for empty jars. Don't ask for just a few.
4 Then go inside and shut the door behind you and your sons. Pour oil into all the jars, and as each is filled, put it to one side."
5 She left him and afterward shut the door behind her and her sons. They brought the jars to her and she kept pouring.
6 When all the jars were full, she said to her son, "Bring me another one." But he replied, "There is not a jar left." Then the oil stopped flowing.
7 She went and told the man of God, and he said, "Go, sell the oil and pay your debts. You and your sons can live on what is left." (2 Kings 4:1 7 NIV)
30. My listening friends, I want you to listen very carefully.
31. When this widow came to the prophet, Elisha . . . he asked her a most significant question.
32. In the second verse Elisha asks, "What do you have in your house?"
33. I want to turn this question around to you and ask you:
34. What do you have in your life?
35. Who occupies the center stage in your life?
36. Right away, in that same verse, the woman replied,
37. "I have nothing . . . but a jar of oil . . . a whole lot of debt."
38. My dear friends, let me tell you something at the outset.
39. It is always God's plan to start with what you have.
40. If God is not blessing your life, there is a reason for that.
41. If God is not answering your prayer, there is a reason for that.
42. If God is not pouring His Spirit into your heart, there is a reason for that.
43. Do you know why we have turmoil in our lives?
44. It is because we are not letting God have His way with us and with what we have.
45. Even some Christians will look around and say, "Oh, I wonder why my life is so spiritually dry?"
46. “Why am I in such spiritual depression?”
47. I want tell you why.
48. Because God will not send His Spirit to the disobedient.
49. God will never send His Spirit to un-surrendered people.
50. Some people think that if they just go to church, they will overcome their spiritual dryness.
51. In times past, God said to His people . . . “you are wearying me with your prayer!”
52. There is no use praying when you have a deliberate sin in your life.
53. Let’s look at the tithe as an example.
54. God said that the tithe is the Lords and not yours.
55. According to Malachi 3, . . .
56. if I tamper with the tithe . . . I am stealing from God.
57. And in the light of Malachi 3 some of you are living in stolen homes.
58. Some of you are wearing stolen clothes.
59. And I could go on and on
60. What do you have in your house?
61. That is what God wants.
62. If this woman had said, "I have nothing," . . .
63. and she never mentioned the jar of oil, . . .
64. the miracle would never have happened.
65. She could have rationalized to herself and said, “what is a drop of oil?”
66. “It is not worth mentioning.”
67. Are you keeping God's money in your pockets and in your accounts and saying God doesn't need this little thing?
68. Are you hiding even the jar of oil and saying let someone else who has more to give
69. Elisha's question has nothing to do with what you have or even if you are giving it.
70. Elisha’s question has everything to do with your not experiencing the blessings of God until you surrender it.
71. I want to tell you directly from the word of God:
72. If you are hoarding God's money . . . that is a sin.
73. The Bible says that if I incline a sin in my heart, God will not answer my prayer.
74. Perhaps you have been praying for your son or daughter to be saved.
75. Nothing seems to be happening, . . .
76. so then you ask “I wonder why God is not answering my prayer?”
77. Be honest with God.
78. Perhaps you have been praying for peace and joy in your home . . . and wondering why it is taking so long?
79. Be honest with God.
80. Have you been praying for direction and discernment for the will of God in your life?
81. Do you think you are not getting an answer?
82. What are you are hiding from God that is clogging the channels of communication so that you can not hear what God is trying to tell you?
83. Be honest with God, . . .
84. and then watch how He will bless you.
85. You see, you either trust Him or you don't.
86. You cannot do both.
87. What do you have in your house?
88. My friends, I want to look at this story on another level.
89. Oil is a symbol of the Holy Spirit.
90. Oil was kept in the house either for cooking or anointing.
91. Under normal circumstances, . . .this oil would be used daily following the regular ablutions.
92. And beyond that, . . . the oil was used to anoint the prophet of God to be God's messenger.
93. It was used to anoint the priests that they might be holy unto the Lord.
94. It was used to anoint the king that the spirit of God might rest upon him.
95. Even the Lord Jesus Christ was anointed at the beginning of His ministry with the spirit and with power.
96. In the New Testament, . . .
97. the anointing of the spirit is distinct from the filling of the Holy Spirit.
98. Yet at the same time, . . .the anointing of the spirit is contingent upon being filled with the spirit.
99. There is one baptism of the spirit.
1. There are many fillings of the spirit.
2. And, there is constant anointing by the spirit.
3. Anyone who preaches or teaches the word of God without the anointing of the Holy Spirit will impart mere head knowledge.
4. Anyone who tries to witness or evangelize without the anointing of the Holy Spirit will operate out of the flesh.
5. They will not have an impact.
6. In the gospel of Luke
7. Jesus told the disciples to tarry in the city of Jerusalem until they are endowed with the power of the Holy Spirit.
49 I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high." (Luke 24:49 NIV)
8. In II Corinthians, Paul said, . . .
9. that it is the spirit's anointing that gives him authority.
10. After the day of Pentecost, we find in Acts, that people were amazed at the disciples . . .
11. and they could not withstand the wisdom with which they spoke.
12. Once again, let me ask you the question Elisha asked the widow.
13. What do you have in your house?
14. Please Join us again in our next broadcast, and we will look more closely at this question.
15. And the question is this:
16. What are the conditions under which we can receive the blessings of God?
17. What do you have in your possession?
18. Until next time, I wish you God’s richest blessings