1. Hello, listening friends.
2. We are delighted that you tuned into this broadcast.
3. I want to begin by speaking to you on the importance of projecting the right image.
4. Most people want to make good impression on others.
5. If you are joining this broadcast for the first time,
6. we are in the middle of a series called “Empowered by Praise.”
7. Last time we began to look at the sin of pride.
8. We saw how the sin of pride robs us of praise.
9. From 2 Samuel 6,
10. we saw how King David danced before the Lord with all His might.
11. David also stripped himself of his royal robe.
12. He did this in honor, praise and adoration of his Lord.
13. But David’s joy before the Lord made his wife Queen Michal very angry.
14. Why, you ask?
15. Because of Satan’s persuasive lie that says projecting a dignified image is all important.
16. This lie attaches pride to self-image.
17. There is a world of difference between a healthy self-image and a sick one.
18. And most often, Satan sells us the sick one.
19. So, what is a healthy self-image?
20. Here is what a healthy self-image says,
21. it says that I know that by nature I am a sinner and deserving the wrath of God.
22. It says I know that by nature I am a nobody.
23. But then I know that the King of Glory adopted me and gave me his family name.
24. He made me a member of the heavenly royal family.
25. Then he gave me authority to be His representative; His ambassador in the world.
26. This is all the healthy self-image that I want or need.
27. This is what the dignity I am looking for.
28. And what about the sick self-image?
29. The sick self-image says I am somebody.
30. A sick self-image says,
31. “I may have grown up poor, but I will never remember my roots.
32. I might feel terrible about myself on the inside,
33. but I’ll never let anybody see the real me.”
34. A sick self-image says,
35. “I am going to make people sit up and take notice of me.”
36. A sick self-image says,
37. “I am going to behave in such a way that everybody knows that I am important.”
38. That is a sick self-image.
39. And only God can heal your sick self-image.
40. He can replace it with a healthy one.
41. But it has to begin with honesty.
42. It all has to begin with pulling off that mask that you have been wearing.
43. It all has to begin with true confession.
44. That’s where it all begins.
45. Now listen to the cynicism in Queen Michal’s voice.
46. You’ll find this in 2 Samuel Chapter 6 verse 20.
47. Can you imagine her standing with arms folded and saying to her husband,
48. “Aha, how the King of Israel has distinguished himself today?
49. Disrobing in the sight of the slave girls of his servants.
50. Just as any old vulgar fellow would do.”
51. She probably said to him,
52. “You grew up as a shepherd boy, but I grew up in the king’s palace.”
53. You see, pride prevented her from participating in praise and worship.
54. Pride kept her from enjoying the blessings that can come from a praising heart.
55. And now she wants to impose her misery on King David.
56. David’s response was just the opposite.
57. Protocol was the last thing on his mind.
58. It was the last of his concerns.
59. Yahweh’s ownership of him is all that mattered to David.
60. Praising God and not man was David’s life goal.
61. Honoring the Lord God above all else was foremost in David’s mind.
62. My friend let me ask you this,
63. how many people do you know who are only concerned about appearances?
64. Are you a person who is consumed with appearances?
65. If you are consumed with appearances, chances are, ‘praising God’ is not important to you.
66. If how you want people to perceive you is all important to you,
67. chances are that praising God is not the priority of your life,
68. because pride is not the only sin that can kill a praising life.
69. An untrue heart can squelch both the desire and the ability to develop a life of praise.
70. You ask, what do you mean by untrue heart?
71. An untrue heart is a heart that is insincere.
72. An untrue heart is hypocritical and filled with doubt.
73. No wonder the writer of Hebrews chapter10 verse 22 said,
74. “Let’s draw near to God with a sincere heart and full assurance of faith.”
75. Now, there are some people who try to honor God with their lips only,
76. but their hearts are full of anger, bitterness and envy.
77. Their hearts are filled with hatred jealousy and lust.
78. They may be able to mouth the words, but that’s all they can do.
79. Please hear me right on this one.
80. To develop the life of praise, you cannot do it alone.
81. You cannot do it in your own strength.
82. All you need to do is to surrender your intellect;
83. surrender your feelings,
84. and surrender your will.
85. And then as soon as you do that,
86. God will empower you to develop the life of praise.
87. What do I mean by surrender?
88. Well, let me give you a practical way to understand this.
89. When God said to Abraham, “Abraham, sacrifice your son Isaac.”
90. What is God asking Abraham to do?
91. He is asking him to surrender the object of his love.
92. He was asking him to surrender the object of his joy.
93. He was asking him to surrender the object of his affection.
94. He was asking him to surrender the object of his life.
95. Let me ask you this,
96. did God want him to sacrifice Isaac?
98. Did God let him sacrifice Isaac?
1. Did God need Isaac?
3. God did not need any of this.
4. God wanted to be sure that Abraham was willing to surrender everything to Him.
5. And praise is a sacrifice because it costs us something.
6. It costs us our pride.
7. It costs us our self-importance label.
8. It costs us our self-serving plans.
9. Because true praise requires that you lay everything that is near and dear before the Lord on the altar.
10. True praise requires your willingness to say to God,
11. “Oh God I yield to you my possessions.
12. I yield to you my dreams and goals in life.
13. I yield to you my relationships.”
14. This is a sacred and holy moment,
15. because like a surgeon, God the Holy Spirit has now prepared you for the operation.
16. But the operation has not taken place yet.
17. The surgery has not happened yet.
18. But God the Holy Spirit wants to perform the surgery if you permit him.
19. Would you say to Him,
20. “Lord I know that pride has played havoc with me,
21. and I may even have rationalized it.
22. Lord, pride has kept me from being a praising Christian,
23. and I may even have brought shame to your name because of that.”
24. Do you want God to minister to you in a spiritual surgery right now?
25. Then confess to the Lord that you allowed pride to withhold so many of His blessings.
26. Say to Him, I am sorry Holy Spirit. I yield to you everything.
27. If you do this,
28. God will surely empower you to develop a life of praise.
29. And when you do that I love to hear from you,
30. and how the life of praise changed you completely.