1. Hello, listening friends, and welcome to this broadcast.
2. It is the tenth in our series of messages taken from the book of Joshua in the Old Testament.
3. In this series, we are learning how to follow the Lord.
4. And sometimes, when the Lord calls us, we ask, “You want me to do what?”
5. And here are some of the answers that we have learned so far.
6. Answer number one,
7. step up to God’s calling in your life.
8. Answer number two,
9. go into the enemy’s territories and share Christ.
10. Answer number three,
11. cross the river of impossibility in your life with God’s supernatural help.
12. Answer number four is yield to God’s plan.
13. Answer number five, stay with God’s program by completely trusting Him.
14. Answer number six is learn from your mistakes.
15. Answer number seven is know how to pray.
16. Answer number eight is claim the complete victory that God has already won for you.
17. Answer number nine is trust in the cosmic real estate developer with the territory He has given to you.
18. And today, we will learn about answer number ten—
19. claim your inheritance.
20. If you have your Bible with you, please look with me at Joshua chapter 18-21.
21. I hope that after this broadcast that you will read these chapters.
22. So let me begin with asking you a question.
23. Do you know what is the easiest thing in the world to do?
24. Have you got the answer yet?
26. Quitting does not take effort or time.
27. Quitting does not cost anything or require much thinking.
28. It is very easy to just say, “This is too hard. I’m quitting.”
29. Or, “This is too frightening. I’m quitting.”
30. So it is the easiest thing in the world.
31. Please look with me at Joshua chapter 18 verses 1-4.
32. Let’s read these together.
33. What is happening here in this passage?
34. We see that the people of God were quitting.
35. Why is Joshua exasperated and frustrated with the people of God?
36. Look at verse 3.
37. “How long will you be slack to go in and take possession of the land?”
38. The people of God, up to this point, have experienced many blessings from God.
39. Why, then, are they hesitating now?
40. Over the past nine messages in this series, we have seen God powerfully and supernaturally guiding His people.
41. They supernaturally crossed the river Jordan.
42. They supernaturally demolished the walls of Jericho.
43. They supernaturally received a complete victory over their enemies.
44. And then in the last message, we saw them dividing the Promised Land among their tribes.
45. And that’s where we left their story in the last message.
46. Joshua was dividing the land based on each tribe’s faithfulness.
47. And after all of the struggles, we would expect the people to easily claim their inheritance.
48. But like many people, they began to quit before the job was accomplished.
49. God’s people began to quit before they actually took possession of the Promised Land.
50. Seven of the tribes had become used to a nomadic lifestyle and they would not take their inheritance.
51. The inheritance had been given to them, but they were willing to settle for less than their rightful amount.
52. My listening friends, I have met so many people who live mediocre Christian lives.
53. They live in sin and disobedience.
54. People around them cannot tell if they were Christians.
55. They have come so far in their Christian life, but then they quit, spiritually speaking.
56. These believers have access to a feast, but they only eat the scraps.
57. They have access to the palace, but they live in a spiritual ghetto.
58. They have been given the power to reclaim their environment for Christ, but they choose to deny their rightful inheritance.
59. Do you know why?
60. Because quitting is easy.
61. Do you know how Joshua got the people of God to persist and claim their inheritance?
62. He knew the importance of worship to inspire God’s people into action.
63. Joshua understood that worship uplifts God’s people and challenges them to follow God.
64. So in verse 1 of chapter 18, Joshua gathered them to worship in Shiloh.
65. My listening friend, when you go to church to worship,
66. that church is not your mission field.
67. Your mission field begins the moment you walk out of the church.
68. Worship is very important.
69. Worship will challenge and prod you.
70. Worship will convict and equip you.
71. Worship will encourage you and motivate you.
72. Worship will strengthen and empower you.
73. It will give you all you need for going into the mission field and claiming your inheritance of the Lord.
74. Who are the inheritance of the Lord?
75. Your territories, your opportunities, your coworkers and your neighbors—these are all the inheritance of the Lord.
76. All of the people you meet every day who desperately need to know that Jesus saves, from the lowest people in society to the highest.
77. These are all the inheritance of the Lord.
78. Will you go and tell them about Jesus?
79. Now Joshua knew the power of worship would strengthen the people to claim their inheritance.
80. So as God’s people gathered for worship, Joshua, in essence, told them, “Don’t let your inheritance go unclaimed.”
81. “Don’t let your call from God go to waste.”
82. “Don’t let the business of this world keep you from your primary activity of reconciling people to God.”
83. “Don’t let the weariness of this world cause you to quit being an ambassador of Jesus Christ.”
84. In chapter 18 verse 3, Joshua is pleading with the people,
85. “How long will you put off taking that which the Lord has already given you?”
86. Joshua warns them that every day they do not claim their inheritance, the enemy, which had been driven out, could return and regain control of the land.
87. In Matthew 12:45, Jesus gives us a very important warning,
88. that when an evil spirit leaves a person’s heart,
89. and that person’s heart is not filled with the Holy Spirit,
90. the evil spirit will come back, but not alone.
91. It will bring with it seven more evil spirits.
92. I’ve seen people who went through an emotional repentance,
93. but they never claimed any of their inheritance.
94. They never claimed their power over sin.
95. They never claimed their power over temptation.
96. And it was just a matter of time before their lives are reoccupied.
97. Reoccupied by powerful evil spirits that cause them to resent and resist anyone who speaks the truth to them.
98. That is why Joshua is crying out to God’s people, “Do not let one more day go by without you claiming your rightful inheritance.”
99. And in the same way, my listening friend, I can say to you,
100. you must occupy your rightful place as an ambassador of Christ,
101. your rightful victory in Christ,
102. your rightful authority from Christ,
103. your rightful power in Christ,
104. your rightful inner filling of the Holy Spirit.
105. And then you make that claim every single day.
106. Let me conclude today’s message with a story about the explorer, Christopher Columbus.
107. Columbus struggled for years to gain an audience with Queen Isabella of Spain.
108. But she did not want to waste her time talking to him about his foolish dreams.
109. But Christopher Columbus persisted and never quit.
110. Eventually, the Queen listened to his request for ships, money, and supplies.
111. And she appointed a committee to study his request.
112. After five years, the committee decided Columbus’ idea was impossible.
113. But even then, Columbus would not give up.
114. So the second committee met for a year and decided that his proposal was too expensive.
115. But Columbus would not quit.
116. Finally, the Queen gave Columbus his needed materials just to dispose of that persistent dreamer.
117. And can you imagine how different the world would have been if Columbus had not persisted?
118. My listening friend, remember this statement.
119. When you face resistance, try persistence.
120. Just think about this—
121. where would you and I be if God had given up on us?
122. Most of us would not be listening to this program.
123. Listen to the words of Joshua again in chapter 18 verse 3.
124. “How long will you wait before you begin to take possession of the land that the Lord, the God of your fathers, has given you?”
125. And as you continue to claim your inheritance,
126. I look forward to connecting with you next time.
127. And until then, I wish you God’s richest blessing.