1. Hello, listening friends.
2. We welcome you to this last in the series on wisdom.
3. I am sure you understand that the feeling of being lost can be very frightening.
4. The condition of not knowing which way to go can be scary;
5. and that is why we talk about those, who have not accepted Jesus as the only way to Heaven, as lost people;
6. and every one of us was lost at some point;
7. but God found us.
8. It is absolutely true that more people fail because of lack of direction in life than lack of talent.
9. Let me explain this.
10. Whenever you are driving in unfamiliar territory,
11. all the talent in the world will not help you.
12. What you need is a map.
13. Regardless of your instincts,
14. regardless of your sense of direction,
15. regardless of all your abilities, you need a map.
16. Without knowledge of where you’re going, your journey will be not only dangerous, but absolutely impossible.
17. In a moment, we’ll be reading from Proverbs, Chapter 3.
18. For those of you who are listening for the first time today, we are at the end of a three-part series on wisdom.
19. From Proverbs, Chapter 1, we heard the plea of wisdom.
20. From Proverbs, Chapter 2, we experience the protection of wisdom;
21. and, here, in Chapter 3, we will discover the path of wisdom.
22. There are three things about the path of wisdom that I want to share with you.
23. First, in verses 1 to 12,
24. we see that wisdom is built on trust;
25. and, in verses 13 to 22,
26. we see that wisdom is built on truth;
27. and, thirdly, in verses 23 to 35,
28. we find that wisdom’s bounty is tranquility.
29. The first path of wisdom is built on trust.
30. Look at verses 5 and 6 of Chapter 3.
31. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
32. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.”
33. What is Solomon saying here?
34. He is saying that there has to be a trust in the counsel that comes from the Word of God,
35. and God’s counsel needs no modification.
36. There has to be a trust in the road map that is provided for us in the Word of God.
37. It means that we cannot improve God’s map,
38. and, so, there has to be a trust in the direction that is given to us in the Word of God.
39. There has to be an unqualified acceptance of God’s leadership.
41. Because God, the Holy Spirit, who authored the Bible, knew that some people are happy to accept God’s plan for their lives only if they like it.
42. There are some people who are glad to trust in the Lord with all their hearts, but only when they agree with Him.
43. A great preacher once said the following:
44. “All believers have the Holy Spirit, but the Holy Spirit does not have all the believers.”
45. The path of wisdom is built on complete trust in God;
46. and that is why, in verse 5, Solomon begins by saying, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart…”
47. and, then, he said, in verse 9, “Honor the Lord with your substance and with the first fruit of your produce.”
48. What does that mean?
49. It means that, if you truly trust God to prosper you,
50. you will give Him the cream of the crop—not the bottom of the barrel.
51. If you truly trust God’s provision for tomorrow,
52. you will offer Him the first part of your income, not what is left over.
53. If you truly trust God to give you favor,
54. you will place Him on the top of your budget, not on the bottom;
55. so, the path of wisdom is built on trust.
56. Secondly, the path of wisdom is built on truth.
57. I think people the world over are forever looking for happiness.
58. They will do all they can to be happy.
59. They are looking for someone to make them happy.
60. The truth is they will never find happiness that way.
61. The truth of the Word of God consistently teaches that there can be no happiness apart from holiness.
62. The devil is forever muddying this truth.
63. He is forever deceiving us into thinking that happiness can be found in the next relationship,
64. or, it can be found in the next financial gain,
65. or, that happiness can be found in the next success,
66. or, that happiness can be found when we accumulate more;
67. but, my listening friend, the path of wisdom is built on truth,
68. and, the truth is that there can be no happiness apart from the Lord Jesus Christ.
69. If Solomon were writing verses 13 and 14 of Chapter 3 in the light of the New Testament,
70. he would have said, "Happiness can only be found in the Lord Jesus Christ, who is our Wisdom."
71. Satan’s supreme goal is to get man to turn away from God and God’s wisdom,
72. and that is why, my listening friend, happy is the one who finds wisdom,
73. and the path of wisdom is built on truth.
74. Wisdom is not built on crookedness.
75. Wisdom cannot be built on twisted truth.
76. Wisdom cannot be built on half-truth.
77. Twisted truth will bring no happiness whatsoever,
78. because the path of wisdom is built on truth,
79. and only truth can bring true wholeness, contentment, joy and fulfillment in life.
80. The path of wisdom is built on trust.
81. The path of wisdom is built on truth.
82. Thirdly, the path of wisdom’s bounty is tranquility.
83. Do you know, my listening friend, the reason so many people are not living in peace and tranquility today, in the midst of the world’s turmoil, can be explained in this true story.
84. A Sunday school teacher told his class the story that Jesus told about Lazarus and the rich man.
85. The teacher explained how Lazarus suffered, yet was contented and joyous.
86. He explained how the rich man was selfish and thoughtless;
87. then, he explained how Lazarus was rewarded in Heaven with peace and tranquility;
88. but the rich man suffered torment and pain every single moment for eternity.
89. After the teacher pressed these truths on the minds of the children, he stopped and asked them a question.
90. He said, "Boys,
91. which would you rather be—Lazarus or the rich man?"
92. One boy raised his hand and said,
93. "I would like to be the rich man while I’m living and Lazarus when I die."
94. This boy summarized what so many people think.
95. They think that they can live for themselves; but, then, inherit the Kingdom of God.
96. They think that they can be greedy and self-centered now and, then, enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
97. My listening friend, please listen very carefully.
98. If you are a child of God redeemed by the blood of Jesus Christ, you know that this is impossible.
99. You cannot have it both ways;
100. and, because of that knowledge, deep in your heart, you don’t have peace and tranquility.
101. We are not contented until we seek wisdom,
102. because we know that true tranquility is found through wisdom.
103. Let me share something with you that I have learned from the Word of God.
104. The Apostle Paul said the following in Philippians 4:11:
105. “I have learned to be contented in whatever state I’m in.”
106. That means that the Apostle Paul was not born knowing how to be contented.
107. None of us are born knowing how to be contented.
108. We have to learn this lesson;
109. and, then, you and I have to learn it again and again;
110. and that is why verse 24 of Proverbs 3 says,
111. “When you are in wisdom’s path, if you sit down, you are not afraid. When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.”
112. Listen to verse 26.
113. “The Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.”
114. In other words, when you are in wisdom’s path, your bounty will be a peaceful life.
115. You will be blessed, coming and going.
116. You will be contented, no matter what;
117. then, finally, Solomon gives us some of the things that we do, as we walk through wisdom’s path.
118. He said that you will not withhold good to whom it is due.
119. He said that you will not plot evil.
120. You will not be argumentative and difficult to get along with.
121. You will not be envious of the temporary success of the wicked.
122. My listening friend, as I conclude, let me ask you this:
123. are you walking in the path of wisdom?
124. Do you trust the Lord with all your heart?
125. Do you place the truth of His Word above your own desires?
126. Do you want wisdom’s bounty?
127. They can all be yours today.
128. Ask the Lord Jesus Christ and He will grant it to you.
129. Until next time, I wish you God’s richest blessing.