1. Hello listening friends.
2. Thank you for joining us on this broadcast.
3. For those of you joining this broadcast for the first time,
4. we are glad you joined us,
5. and I hope that you will join us in the next broadcast as well.
6. And those of you who have not written to us, go ahead and send us a note how you think and feel about this program.
7. We are in the middle of a study about the awesomeness of the grace of God.
8. Many of us have used the word “grace” in every day living.
9. Whenever we hear of someone who is no longer the boss’s favorite employee,
10. we say: “He has fallen from grace.”
11. Whenever we hear of someone who committed a public sin and was discovered,
12. we say: “He has fallen from grace.”
13. Whenever we know of someone who turned away from the faith,
14. we say: “He has fallen away from grace.”
15. But in the Epistle to the Galatians, the Apostle Paul uses the term “fallen from grace”,
16. but he means something very different by it than what we mean by it.
17. Let me give you time so that you can open your Bible to the book of Galatians, chapter 5 beginning at verse 5.
18. Sometimes when we use the term “fallen from grace”,
19. we mean that the person has lost his or her salvation.
20. There are people who believe that a true Christian can lose his or her salvation.
21. That runs contrary to the words of Jesus in the gospel of John chapter 6.
22. “Those whom the father has given me, I will lose none.”
23. Oh, to be sure,
24. the scripture exhorts us to: “Fulfill our salvation in fear and trembling.”
25. But those who are saved will always fulfill their salvation “with fear and trembling”.
26. There are Christians who live a life that is lacking in joy, peace and hope.
28. Simply because they do not know from day to day whether they will go to Heaven or not.
29. I know a man whose father belonged to such a church.
30. It was a church that taught that you could fall in and out of grace,
31. depending on your conduct at a given moment.
32. But that’s a different subject.
33. Those people who have been brought up in legalism will probably struggle with it for a long time.
34. A famous man once said:
35. “I repudiated legalism intellectually and theologically in 1946.”
36. “But in 1982, I am still wrestling with it emotionally.”
37. When the Apostle Paul was using the term “Fallen From Grace”.
38. Paul did not mean that a Christian would loose his or her salvation because he or she had fallen into sin,
39. and that no amount of repentance would help them.
40. Why is this?
41. Because it is the grace of God that saves us.
42. It is the grace of God that forgives us and sustains us.
43. And the grace of God will ultimately take us to Glory.
44. Listen very carefully, because this is important.
45. Legalism says:
46. “You are not saved by God’s grace alone,
47. but rather by keeping certain external rules as well.”
48. Legalism tells you the clothes you and wear.
49. Legalism tells you the type of music that you listen to.
50. Legalism tells you the style of worship that you must use.
51. Legalism tells you the length of the dress that you must wear.
52. Legalism tells you the proper length of your hair.
53. Legalism controls ever facet of our lives.
54. There are people even today, who believe that you can only please God by observing these external rules and rituals.
55. We saw in the last broadcast, how we are saved by grace alone.
56. Through faith alone.
57. We saw that even our faith is not of our making but it is God’s gift to us.
58. We heard what Paul said in Ephesians 2,
59. “We were dead in sin and trespasses.”
60. And dead people cannot believe!
61. Therefore, God breathed His faith in us,
62. in order that we may be able to receive the grace of God.
63. There is a story I would like to use as an illustration here.
64. There was a man who was giving his testimony in a legalistic church.
65. The church believed that God did His part,
66. but the people also had to do their part to “earn” salvation.
67. In other words, they believed that salvation was some kind of corporate effort.
68. This man got up to give his testimony.
69. He gave all the glory to God and the grace of God,
70. and never once claimed that he did anything to deserve God’s grace.
71. The pastor stood up and said to the man:
72. “You told us about the grace of God in your life but what about your part?”
73. and the man replied:
74. “Oh, yes I did but let me repeat it for you.”
75. “For more than 30 years, I ran away from God, as fast as my sin could carry me.”
76. “That was my part.”
77. “But God took out after me and ran me down.”
78. “That was His part.”
79. Please listen carefully my listening friends.
80. To fall into sin and experience God’s grace and forgiveness when we repent is not “falling from grace”.
81. To fall into sin and in genuine repentance ask for God’s grace in forgiveness is not falling from grace.
82. So what is falling from grace all about then?
83. Falling from grace is when you cease to believe that only God’s grace can save you.
84. Falling from grace is when you trust in some rule or a man made regulation to get you to Heaven.
85. Falling from grace is when you believe that salvation is in a certain church.
86. Falling from grace is when you believe that salvation comes from following a certain dogma.
87. Falling from grace is when you believe that salvation depends on observing certain decorum.
88. Falling from grace is when you add something else to the grace of God to give you God’s favor.
90. Because God’s grace is precious unmerited favor.
91. God can give you His grace right now.
92. Not because you deserve it.
93. Not because you earn it.
94. Not because you can be good enough to receive it.
95. But because He freely gives it.
96. Will you ask God for His Grace today?
97. He promised that no one who will ask for His Grace will be turned down.
98. You have God’s own assurance of this.
99. He said:
100. seek and you shall find,
101. knock and it shall be opened unto you,
102. will you ask him today for his grace?
103. Your eternity is dependent upon this grace.
104. God wants to give it to you.
105. Will you humble yourself and receive it?
106. Because you have to ask for it,
107. and he will give it to you.
108. And I want you to turn in next time,
109. when we will look more closely at this legalism that Paul warns us against,
110. and we’re going to look at the power that frees us from it.
111. Until we meet again, I wish you God’s richest blessing.