1. Hello listening friends.
2. Welcome back to this broadcast on the awesomeness of the grace of God.
3. I want to begin by telling you about an incident that took place some years ago.
4. During a conference on religion in Great Britain,
5. experts from around the world debated the following question.
6. What, if any, belief was unique to the Christian faith?
7. They began by eliminating the possibilities.
9. Other religions, claim that their gods appeared in human form.
11. Other religions claimed all sorts of miracles.
12. And the so debate continued.
13. until C. S. Lewis, the famous author and theologian wandered into the room.
14. He asked what was going on.
15. His colleagues told him that they were trying to discover what was unique about Christianity.
16. Lewis’ response was simple and to the point.
17. he said: “That is easy, it is grace.”
18. and he left the room.
19. I am sure that I would have loved to have been in that room after he left.
20. The group continued their debate for quite a while.
21. And they finally they concluded that grace does distinguish Christianity.
22. For the God of the universe to give His grace freely is truly unique.
23. For the God of the universe to save a sinner by grace alone with no strings attached goes against every human instinct.
24. For God to love freely and expect nothing in return, runs contrary to every other religious system in the world.
25. Only Jesus Christ the eternal Son of God can offer God’s unconditional love.
26. Only Jesus Christ the God of very God in human flesh could be so extravagant in His generosity of Grace.
27. Only Jesus Christ through whom the world was created would give freely His saving Grace.
28. What is this grace? And how is it given with no strings attached?
29. We saw in the last broadcast, how the God of grace saved Adam and Eve, despite their refusal to obey God.
30. We saw how His grace extended to them in 3 ways.
31. God extended His grace by not letting them physically die as they were supposed to.
33. God extended His grace by promising them the coming Messiah.
35. God extended His grace by shedding the blood of an innocent animal to cover their nakedness of sin.
36. The Bible says,
37. that every human being that is born, is born with Adam and Eve’s genes of sin.
38. The Bible says,
39. that just as we do inherit our ancestor’s genes, we have inherited Adam and Eve’s genes.
40. Those genes are manifested, in the way we come out of the womb, declaring independence.
41. These genes are manifested, in the way our pride rules supreme.
42. In Ephesian 2:1-10, the apostle Paul summarizes how we are saved and rescued, from what these genes can do to us.
43. Let’s read it together.
44. One of you my listening friends may be asking.
45. Why do we need to be rescued from the inherited “sin genes”?
46. As we saw in the last broadcast:
47. God’s justice declared those if those “sin genes” are not dealt with.
48. the consequences are eternal torment and punishment.
49. The courts of Heaven have declared that unless those “sin genes”are done away with.
50. we have a dismal future of utter loneliness and bleak darkness ahead of us.
51. There are some people who would say:
52. “Yes, we agree that the “sin gene” has consequences.”
53. But they think that the way to deal with this “sin gene” is to do some good works.
54. Why do they say this?
55. Because they hope that their good works will help alleviate the consequences of the “sin genes.”
56. There are others that teach: “Yes, Jesus died on the cross.
57. but you have to atone for your own sin, by doing certain things.”
58. Others teach:
59. “Oh yes, Jesus forgives but you have to earn His forgiveness.”
60. Others say:
61. “Oh yes, redemption is made possible by the cross but you have to buy your redemption.”
62. The problem with these false teachings is that they are contrary to the Bible.
63. The Bible tells us that: No one can climb up into God’s chamber.
64. No one can earn God’s favor,
65. No one can buy his way or her way into Heaven.
66. That is an impossibility!
67. God is the one who has to come to us.
68. And that is what sets Christianity apart.
69. Let me give you an illustration.
70. A child’s description of an elevator explains what the Bible means when it tells us that God comes to us.
71. The boy said, “I got into this little room and the upstairs came down.”
72. God is the One who comes to us,
73. we do not climb up to God.
74. It wasn’t long ago that I read a story about a man who was obsessed with meeting Queen Elizabeth II.
75. This man slipped through the most incredible security shield of Buckingham palace.
76. and entered into the Queen’s chambers.
77. When she got there at nighttime, there he was in her private sitting room.
78. He was waiting to see her and talk to her.
79. She immediately had the guards arrest him and remove him to prison.
80. My friend, no one can climb into God’s chamber uninvited.
81. We can only meet Him, when he comes down to us.
82. In Ephesians chapter 2,
83. the Apostle Paul summarizes the way in which God comes to us and rescues us through His son the Lord Jesus Christ.
84. Paul gives us 3 things, that you must understand about God’s grace in the life of a Christian.
85. First – ,
86. God’s grace takes away our dismal past.
87. Secondly –
88. God’s grace gives us a glorious present.
89. Thirdly –
90. God’s grace leads us to a stupendous future.
91. How did God’s grace take away our dismal past?
92. The Apostle Paul said that our inherited sinful genes made us to be born spiritually dead.
93. Of course there are some people who say:
94. “Yes, there is something wrong with the human race,
95. but nothing that science and technology cannot cure.”
96. Science and technology have never eliminated diseases, they have discovered more.
97. Science and technology have never eliminated poverty.
98. Science and technology have never been able to overcome death.
99. And then there are others who say:
100. “In my natural state before Christ, I was like a man in a ditch;
101. and could not climb out of it by myself,
102. until Jesus came and He took my hand and pulled me out.”
103. That could not be further from the truth.
104. The Bible says,
105. “We were dead in sin.”
106. Please tell me how can a dead person stretch out his hand?
107. Please tell me how can a dead person even know that he is in a ditch?
108. Before God’s grace came into our lives,
109. we were spiritual corpses.
110. Before God’s grace came into our lives,
111. we could not make one move toward God or respond to God.
112. Until God’s grace breathed spiritual life into our dead spiritual corpse, we could not even move.
113. This spiritual death is a very strange type of death.
114. Let me explain.
115. While the person before Christ was spiritually dead,
116. yet this person was up and about and actively proclaiming his or her independence from God.
117. Listen again to verses 1 and 2 of Ephesians 2,
118. What is Paul saying?
119. Paul is saying that before the grace of God,
120. You were a dead man walking.
121. You were a dead woman walking.
122. You were like a zombie.
123. Do you know what a zombie is?
124. A zombie is a person of fiction and myth who has died but is still on his feet walking around.
125. In fact, the zombie literature is so gruesome. I won’t get into it.
126. Before God’s grace comes into our lives,
127. we were not only dead men and women walking,
128. but also we were enslaved to sin.
129. In Ephesians 2:2Paul said,
130. We were enslaved to the world’s system and the evil spirit who controls this world’s system.
131. We thought like the unbelievers think.
132. We talked like the unbelievers talk.
133. We were filled with greed, hatred, lust, arrogance and self-assertion.
134. We had no room for God.
135. But before we run out of time, I want to ask you a question.
136. Has God been speaking to you about repenting of your sin?
137. Don’t harden your heart.
138. Because this is God’s way of quickening your spirit for its dead state.
139. Will you say, “yes, Lord Jesus, come into my life!”
140. It is our prayer that you do.
141. Tune in next time to learn more about our dismal past and how God’s grace saves us from it.
142. Until then, I wish you God’s richest blessing