1. Welcome our listening friends.
2. We are delighted that you tuned into this program.
3. We have been studying the miracles of the Lord Jesus Christ,
4. Especially those signs that were mentioned in the gospel of John.
5. We have already seen three of those
6. And today we are beginning in the fourth one.
7. During World War II the Germans forced many a 12 and 13-year-old boys into the Junior Gestapo.
8. These boys were treated very harshly and were forced to perform inhumane jobs.
9. When the war ended most of these boys had lost track of their families.
10. Many of them wandered around with no food or shelter.
11. Part of the aid program to post-war Germany... was the establishment of tent cities for these boys.
12. In these tent cities,...
13. Doctors and psychologists were deployed to work with these boys to help restore their mental and physical health.
14. One of the things that baffled these professionals... was this:
15. Many of these boys would wake up in the middle of the night, screaming in terror.
16. Finally, one doctor had an idea of how to handle their fear.
17. First, he fed the boys a large meal at night.
18. Next, he put a piece of bread in their hands... which they were told to save until morning.
19. The boys then slept soundly.
21. Because after so many years of hunger... they finally had the assurance of food... for the next day.
22. The number one cause of fear... is fear of the future.
23. The number one cause of anxiety in the world... is what tomorrow will hold.
24. The number one cause for worry... is what will happen to me and my family.
25. The number one cause of sleepless nights is the thought;... “will I make it another day?”
26. John the Apostle was under the leadership of the Holy Spirit when he recorded his Gospel.
27. In Chapter 6, we find the fourth sign that Jesus performed.
28. And, it was recorded for our benefit.
29. He recorded this sign to assure those who belonged to the Lord Jesus Christ.
30. John assures us that Jesus is not only able to change water into wine.
31. John assures us that Jesus is not only able to heal the dying body.
32. John assures us that Jesus is not only able to heal a man who was paralyzed for 38 years.
33. But John also records some words to tell every believer in Jesus Christ the following things:
34. That your anxiety is baseless.
35. That your worry is groundless.
36. Your fear is unnecessary.
37. And worry, anxiety and fear are not honoring to God.
39. Because, it is God who gives you your food... and not the government.
40. It is God who holds your future and not your employer.
41. It is God who prospers you... when you follow His stewardship principles.
42. It is God who blesses you today and blesses your tomorrows.
43. It is the Lord Jesus Christ to whom you should look and not someone else.
44. Let’s look together at the Scripture in John 6:1-14.
1 some time after this, Jesus crossed to the far shore of the Sea of Galilee (that is, the Sea of Tiberias),
2 and a great crowd of people followed him because they saw the miraculous signs he had performed on the sick.
3 Then Jesus went up on a mountainside and sat down with his disciples.
4 The Jewish Passover Feast was near.
5 When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, "Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?"
6 He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do.
7 Philip answered him; "Eight months' wages would not buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!"
8 another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, spoke up,
9 "Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?"
10 Jesus said, "Have the people sit down." There was plenty of grass in that place, and the men sat down, about five thousand of them.
11 Jesus then took the loaves gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated as much as they wanted. He did the same with the fish.
12 when they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, "Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted."
13 So they gathered them and filled twelve baskets with the pieces of the five barley loaves left over by those who had eaten.
14 after the people saw the miraculous sign that Jesus did, they began to say, "Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world."
(John 6:1‑14 NIV)
45. Here at this particular time in Jesus’ earthly life we find him to be at the peak of His popularity.
46. Here, we find Jesus to be followed by multitudes of thousands...
47. Albeit, following Him not out of conviction...
48. But out of curiosity and self-interest.
49. In verse 2, you find that the perfect tense was used three times.
50. The crowd kept on following Jesus.
51. Because they continually saw the signs.
52. That He habitually healed the sick.
53. John does not record many of these signs.
54. He only gives us a sample of each.
56. That you and I may believe in Him.
57. So that you and I might put our trust fully in Him.
58. So that you and I would cast all our cares upon Him.
59. But the crowd did not understand the significance of this particular miracle.
60. Many people don't understand it today, nearly 2000 years later.
61. Most of the witnesses thought that Jesus was a very clever magician.
62. Anyone who could provide them with food for their bodies got their vote.
63. These folks were following Jesus only because their stomachs got filled.
64. In v.66 of Chapter 6 of the Gospel of John
65. When Jesus challenged them spiritually... many of them left him.
66. It says:
from this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.
(John 6:66 NIV)
67. They disappeared as fast as they could!
68. My listening friends, please notice very carefully:
69. Although Jesus knew their ulterior motive... He had compassion on them anyway.
70. He realized that they had gone a whole day without food.
71. Even beyond that, Jesus saw their spiritual need.
72. He saw them: "as sheep without a shepherd."
73. They were like the paralyzed man who thought that his healing was in the water of Bethesda... and failed to recognize the real healer.
74. The crowd had failed to understand their own scripture.
75. Just as God provided their forefathers manna in the wilderness...
76. When the Messiah came... he was going to provide them with spiritual food.
77. When God appears as flesh and bones, He will feed them spiritually.
78. They had failed to comprehend the promises of Isaiah 1:19 and Ezra 9:12:
79. "If you are willing and obedient you shall eat the good of the land."
80. According to the teaching of the Old Testament,...
81. Eating and drinking and joy was equated with God's blessing and God's presence.
82. Deuteronomy 8:9 and Nehemiah 9:36 tell us:
a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing; a land where the rocks are iron and you can dig copper out of the hills.
(Deut 8:9 NIV)
"But see, we are slaves today, slaves in the land you gave our forefathers so they could eat its fruit and the other good things it produces.
(Neh 9:36 NIV)
83. Here Scripture is telling us that food and eating are associated with God's blessing of His people.
84. So, when God comes in their midst in fulfillment of the Messianic promises... they fail to recognize Him.
85. Let’s get back to the miracle itself.
86. As the day wore on... the disciples began to panic.
87. My listening friends, I want to tell you something very important:
88. We always worry ourselves sick... regarding things that only God can do.
89. So did the disciples.
90. “ Master,” they said, “it is getting late... send them away.”
91. There were about 14 neighboring towns in that area... Each had a population of about 15,000 people.
92. In effect, the disciples were saying:
93. “Send them away that so that they can get to the market and get food before shopkeepers close for the night."
94. Jesus suggested that the disciples feed the crowd... in order to test the disciples.
95. And Jesus encountered a very interesting reaction to say the least!
96. And I want you tune in next time, so I can tell you more about it.
97. I want you to see if you can recognize yourself in one of these reactions.
98. Until then I wish you God’s riches blessings