1. Hello there our listening friends.
2. Thank you very much for tuning in to this broadcast.
3. Today we’re going to begin to look at Psalm 139.
4. I am calling it the awesomeness of God.
5. I want to begin by asking you a question.
6. How many of us have thought about the awesomeness of God today?
7. Or yesterday?
8. Or last week?
9. Or in the span of the whole past year?
10. In our scientific world everything has an explanation.
11. And because of that we have lost the sense of wonder about God.
12. Children by nature have that sense of wonder.
13. Then in their teen years they go through the fantasy stage.
14. This is really an artificial stage of wonder.
15. Then eventually they get to the adulthood where it’s practical scientific explanations.
16. And there goes the sense of amazement about God.
17. It is not surprising therefore that Jesus says again and again,
18. Unless you become like a little child.
19. This means that you spiritually enter into the child’s world with all of its wonder,
20. You become like a little child, believing and trusting.
21. Until you do that you are risking at worst unbelief and at best cold carnality.
除非如此， 否则你要么不信， 要么不冷不热。
22. Because at the heart of this loss of wonder at God.
23. You will discover the center of human pride.
24. In reality, honest scientists admit how much is yet to be learned.
25. Some Christians read the Bible once or twice and they think they know what’s in it.
26. They think they understand the relationship between the Old and the New Testament.
27. And so they go on their merry Christian life without reading the Scripture daily.
28. yet many of the great men and women of God would read the Scripture 100 times.
29. and on the 101 time they discover some new truth.
30. and they get excited about it.
31. It is as if they read it for the first time in their life.
32. Wonder at the awesomeness of God leads us into daily depth in our walk with God.
33. Wonder at the awesomeness of God helps us determine true value in life.
34. And Psalm 139 tells us what happens to believers when they exercise their sense of wonder.
35. This Psalm tells us what happens when we begin to reflect on the awesomeness of God.
36. This Psalm tells us how our wonder at the awesomeness of God would impact our lives.
37. In this great hymn David shows us four awesome things about God.
38. And he also tells us how to apply them in our lives.
39. So before we get into these four things, let’s read the Psalm together.
40. This is a wonderful Psalm!
41. And as I told you there are four awesome things about God.
42. Let’s look at them right now.
44. In verses 1 to 6,
139篇 1-6 节，
45. He tells us about the awesomeness of God’s knowledge.
47. In verses 7 to 12,
48. He tells us about the awesomeness of God’s presence.
50. In verses 13 to 18,
51. He tells us about the awesomeness of God’s power.
52. And fourthly,
53. In verses 19 to 24,
54. He shows us the awesomeness of God’s judgment.
55. First let us examine the awesomeness of God’s knowledge.
56. The word omniscient describes God’s perfect knowledge.
57. He knows everything that’s going on everywhere in the world at once.
58. If he didn’t he wouldn’t be God.
59. No wonder David was overwhelmed by the awesomeness of God’s knowledge.
60. David applies this knowledge of God to himself personally.
61. He puts the search lights of God on his life.
62. He says God you know me inside out.
63. And that is why David is confident.
64. He said search me.
65. Because he knows that God knows everything.
66. There is no use hiding.
67. What does God know about us?
68. In verse 2 he knows what we do,
69. He knows what we think even before we think it.
70. In verse 3 he knows where we go and whom we see,
71. And he either approves or disapproves of it.
72. In verse 4,
73. He knows what we say even before we say it.
74. That is the awesomeness of God’s knowledge.
75. He even knows the motives of the words we speak.
76. Sometimes a person can say something that becomes misleading.
77. Because he may have an imperfect knowledge or lack of understanding.
78. But then there’s another person who schemes to say things to deceive somebody.
79. God knows the difference.
80. And he judges us on the basis of that knowledge.
81. And that is why the Psalmist often prays the prayer in Psalm 19:14.
82. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you oh, God my strength and my redeemer.
83. Verse 5 is a very significant verse.
84. Here David teaches us that God knows our needs.
85. That is why he keeps his guiding and his restraining hand on us.
86. Now let me be upfront with you.
87. In this particular verse, David is actually complaining.
88. What is he complaining about?
89. He said that God you are hemming me in.
90. I am so excited at the awesomeness of your knowledge but you have got a big fence around me.
91. And that fence is your guidance and protection watching over me.
92. The word here in Hebrew means being hemmed in.
93. It is the same word that is used when a city comes under siege.
94. God put a fence around David and his wandering why.
95. But David couches his complaint very well in a form of praise.
96. But really deep down he was complaining.
97. Probably some of you who are listening to us right now are feeling the same way.
98. Some of you are probably saying, God why have you allowed this in my life?
99. Why is he closing doors that I want him to open?
100. I am tired of being hemmed in.
101. O but my listening friend, listen very carefully.
102. The very fence that is hemming you in.
103. Is the very fence that is keeping the devil out.
104. God loves you and cares for you so much.
105. He knows the minutest details in every part of your life.
106. And he has got a fence around you that you don’t like right now.
107. And you are trying to kick that fence down.
108. But that very fence is keeping the devil out.
109. The person who is in a bad marriage wants to get out of that marriage.
110. And God is saying that fence that you don’t like is the very fence that is protecting you from a worse situation.
111. A single person who has prayed for many years God give me a spouse.
112. God is saying to you the very fence that you are in which you don’t like very much.
113. Is the very fence that is protecting you from a far worse situation.
114. The job or the boss from which you want to flee.
115. God is saying that very fence is protecting you from the devil.
116. When you are not able to get out.
117. The devil is not able to get in.
118. And David reflects on the awesomeness of God’s perfect knowledge.
119. And he finds himself absolutely overwhelmed.
120. In fact the apostle Paul did the same thing.
121. In Romans 11:33 he said,
122. All the riches of the wisdom and the knowledge of God how unsearchable are his judgment and his ways past finding out.
123. My listening friend as I conclude I want to ask you a personal question.
124. Do you feel so hemmed in and discouraged today?
125. Are you counting the fence posts?
126. Does your eye level focuses only on just the fence?
127. What God wants you to do is lift up your eyes.
128. And reflect on the awesome knowledge of God.
129. Next time I want to talk to you about the awesomeness of God’s presence.
130. As we continue in this series of messages from Psalm 139.
131. Don’t forget to tune in and tell a friend to tune in also.
132. Until next time, I wish you God’s richest blessing.