1. Hello, listening friends.
2. We are delighted that you tuned in back to this broadcast.
3. In our last broadcast we discussed the sign that Eliezer planted.
4. Eliezer wanted to be able to recognize the woman that God had chosen to be Isaac’s bride.
5. He was sent on a commission to find a wife for his master’s son Isaac.
6. Eliezer prayed that he would recognize the right woman for Isaac.
7. It was a very simple sign.
8. It was between him and the Lord.
9. And sure enough as soon as he reaches his destination.
10. Rebekah shows up and offers not only to give him a drink but she watered his ten camels too.
11. Some people might try to call this luck.
12. Others might try to say it was sheer coincidence.
13. But there is no such thing as luck or coincidence to the men and women of God.
14. The Bible said that every hair on our head is numbered.
15. But that’s not all.
16. Most people stop there.
17. But it says not one of your hairs will fall down without God’s permission.
18. God gave permission for that hair to come out.
19. So Rebekah shows up
20. And in the fulfillment of the sign the Eliezer placed before God, she turned out to be the one.
21. Some people have estimated that she drew at least 120 gallons of water from the well.
22. She drew them one pot at a time.
23. What patience!
24. What does this say to single man?
25. Look for a woman who has the beauty of holiness not the beauty of cosmetics.
26. Don’t marry an unbeliever and fool yourself into thinking that after you marry her she will convert to Christ.
27. That’s foolishness.
28. If Abraham had believed that he would have sent Eliezer across the street, not across the desert.
29. But Abraham did not want Isaac to marry an ungodly Canaanite.
30. And that is why he sent Eliezer back to his homeland.
31. What does this say to single woman?
32. It says, don’t just marry anyone who shows up,
33. But marry a man who is magnanimous.
34. Isaac did not only send gifts with Eliezer to his future wife
35. But he also sent gifts to his future mother-in-law.
36. So when Rebekah was asked one of the great questions of the Bible
37. Will you go with this man?
38. Her mother was standing behind her saying, yes, yes, yes
39. Here is some first century advice for the 21st century women.
40. Make sure that he can provide for you.
41. Young woman takes your time be particular.
42. Wait for God to bring you a godly man of his own choosing.
43. Just because you are of eligible age and not married it’s not a national crisis.
44. But what does this say to parents.
45. Parents, I want you to see the example of Abraham.
46. There is a message for all of us parents here.
47. You better pray that God will send an angel to find a spouse for your child.
48. Let’s look at Genesis 24:40.
49. Abraham said to Eliezer,
50. The Lord before whom I walk will send his angels with you and prosper your way.
51. And God did just that
52. In the first message in this series I told you that Isaac is a type of Christ in the Bible.
53. Here I want us to look at Rebekah as a type of church.
54. Remember according to Scripture, Jesus is the bridegroom and the church is the bride.
55. Isaac, the bridegroom represents Jesus Christ.
56. When the question was presented to her, will you go with this man?
57. Rebekah replied yes I will go.
58. It meant that she was leaving the security of her father’s home
59. It means that she might never see the face of her mother again
60. It meant a dangerous journey across the blazing desert
61. It meant that there were uncertain days ahead
62. It meant that she would be embracing a different family and a different culture
63. But Rebekah said, I will go
64. I cannot help but think of all the faithful wives across the years
65. Wives who married godly husbands
66. Wives who knew all too well of the dangers and all of the suffering that awaits them
67. Yet they said, I will go
68. Now my beloved listening friends, I want to tell you this
69. In the same way when each of us heard the voice of God the Holy Spirit
70. We were enemies of Christ
71. We turned our backs to God
72. And when God issued the invitation and said, come
73. We accepted his gracious invitation
74. Some of you today may be hearing God’s invitation for the first time today
75. Some of you may have heard God’s invitation before
76. But for some reason or another and you have refused his invitation of forgiveness of your sins
77. Or you may have been postponing the acceptance of the invitation
78. Why risk your eternal future?
79. Will you come and be part of the bride of Jesus Christ?
80. Will you take Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior?
81. Will you trust him?
82. Will you obey him?
83. Will you crown him as the Lord of your life?
84. Will you forsake old relationships?
85. Will you forsake old sins?
86. Will you forsake old habits?
87. Will you submit to his authority and to the authority of his Word?
88. Will you be faithful to him as he has been faithful to you?
89. Will you honor him with your substance?
90. Will you honor him with your time?
91. Will you honor him with your life?
92. Will you never put anything or anyone above him?
93. Will you never put anything or anyone ahead of him?
94. Every faithful believer in Jesus Christ through all generations said
95. Yes, I will go
96. Some of you are listening to this broadcast may not have said, I will go, yet
97. The Holy Spirit has been inviting you
98. The Holy Spirit is speaking to you to commit your life to Jesus Christ
99. The Holy Spirit has been beseeching you to receive him as your Savior and Lord and become part of the bride of Christ
100. The Holy Spirit has been inviting you to meet him on the clouds one of these days, come Lord Jesus
101. Today you can say, I will go
102. Today you can make that commitment
103. Why not
104. Only a fool would turn down this kind of invitation
105. Christ is the kind of husband who loved me so much that he would lavish all of his blessings upon me
106. This is the kind of husband who gave up everything for me
107. This is the kind of husband who sacrificed his life for me
108. This is the kind of husband who cares for every single detail in my life
109. That kind of husband is worthy to receive all of my allegiances
110. That kind of husband is worthy to receive all of my loyalties
111. That kind of husband is worthy to receive all of my praise and all of my adoration
112. That’s the kind of husband who is worthy to receive all of me
113. Let me tell you a story
114. During a war a young officer in the army before leaving the country with his regiment became engaged to a young lady
115. In one of the battles, the officer was badly wounded and lost a leg
116. So he wrote a letter to his future bride telling her how he was disfigured and maimed
117. He told her how he had changed since she had last seen him
118. Thus he told her that he was releasing her from all obligations to marry him and become his wife
119. The young lady wrote an answer
120. Her letter was no less noble than that which she received from her fiancé
121. In the letter she disavowed all thoughts of refusing to carry out the engagement because of what had happened to him in the battle
122. And she concluded the letter by saying the following
123. I would marry you if there was only enough of your body left to hold your soul
124. Many people today get out of their marriages simply because they disagree with each other
125. At the first sign of trouble they jump ship and leave their spouses
126. What does this say about our commitment to God?
127. Our relationship at home reflects our relationship with Jesus Christ
128. Many people will only worship God when he is good to them
129. No wonder we are in a spiritual crisis
130. My listening friends this is very important
131. When Jesus said to you and to me, I love you
132. He did not say, I love you only when you are good
133. When Jesus said I love you
134. He did not say I love you only when you love me back
135. When Jesus said I love you
136. He did not say I love you only when you are spiritual
137. When Jesus said I love you
138. He did not say I love you only when you are strong and victorious in life
140. When Jesus said I love you
141. He loves you all the time and all the way to eternity
142. Before I conclude I want to remind you to tune in to the next broadcast when we examine Hannah’s prayer in I Samuel chapter 1 and 2
143. Now in conclusion my listening friends I do not want you to miss what I am about to tell you
144. The reason that many people live in habitual sin
145. The reason why so many people live in fear
146. The reason many people live in perpetual anxiety and worry
147. Is because deep down they do not believe that God really loves them unconditionally and eternally
148. They read it in the Scripture they know it in their heads, but they do not know it in their hearts
149. They know that it is true
150. They know that it is a fact
151. But it never has penetrated deep down to become part of their inner being
152. Now here is the problem
153. They think that they have to be worthy of the love of God
154. And when they conclude that they are unworthy which is true
155. Then they conclude that God only loves them when they are good
156. Listen to what Jesus said in John 15:9
157. As the Father loves me, so I love you
158. Can you imagine the love that God the Father has for God the Son?
159. God the Father and God the Son co-existed before eternity
160. I do not think that anyone can truly comprehend what it means and how much love God the Father has for God the Son
161. Yet Jesus said I love you that same way
162. In other words, you can never comprehend the depth of the love of God for us
163. When you begin to understand this, you will live in victory
164. You will not live in habitual sin
165. You will not live in addiction
166. You will not live in chains
167. You will not live in fear and worry and anxiety
168. Please let this sink deep and deeper into your inner being
169. Wake up in the morning and think about the love of God
170. Go to bed at night thinking about the love of God
171. And I want to tell you that when you do this
172. Over time as this truth sinks deep into your heart
173. You will understand what it is to be totally committed to the Lord
174. But here is the problem
175. We tend to love God more when we want something from him
176. We love God when we need him
177. We love God only when we feel like it
178. We love God when we are on a spiritual mountaintop, but then when we are going through the valleys, our love for him tends to waver
179. We love him immediately after a great blessing or after a great answer to prayer
180. But after a time our enthusiasm wanes
181. The question for all of us is this
182. Can we say I love you Lord because you loved me first?
183. I want to pray with you before we conclude
184. If you’ve never invited Jesus Christ to come in your life, do it today
185. If you have never comprehended the love of God and the depth of the love of God you can comprehend it today
186. Our heavenly Father
187. We thank you for your incomprehensible love
188. May we understand a little bit of that love today
189. And that we spend the rest of our lives trying to understand the depth of your love
190. So that we live the rest of our lives in serving you
191. In Jesus name,