1. Hello there, our listening friend, welcome to this broadcast.
2. It is always a delight to know you are there listening to this program.
3. And that is why we love to hear from you, to know how this program has impacted your life.
4. We are in the midst of a series of messages on the life of Abraham.
5. And in our last broadcast, we promised to show you the great benefits that come from communing daily with God.
6. That is why I want to begin this broadcast by reading from Genesis 18: 16-19.
7. You may recall that Abraham and Sarah were visited by two supernatural guests.
8. Let’s read the passage.
9. When the men got up to leave, they looked down toward Sodom, and Abraham walked along with them to see them on their way.
10. Then the LORD said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do?
11. Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation, and all nations on earth will be blessed through him.
12. For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just, so that the LORD will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him.” (Gen 18:16-19 NIV)
13. You notice, that in verse 17, the Lord tells Abraham a secret.
14. God reveals His secrets to those who love Him.
15. I want you to notice something very important my listening friends,
16. I did not say He reveals His secrets to those who say that they love Him.
17. God speaks His plans to those who love Him.
18. God announces His will to those who love Him... and commune with Him.
19. No wonder Psalm 25:14 says;
20. The LORD confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them. (Ps 25:14 NIV)
21. And in the book of Amos chapter 3 verse 7:
22. Surely the Sovereign LORD does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets. (Amos 3:7 NIV)
23. Here in Genesis 18, verse 20, the Lord confides in Abraham.
24. He is saying to him, “Abraham... there is a problem on the horizon,
25. it is really in your backyard... Sodom and Gomorrah is over-grown with immorality.”
26. “The cup of iniquity is full to the brim.”
27. “It is time for judgement.”
28. “I have waited patiently for so long.”
29. What God is saying is this,
30. “I have been patient and slow to anger with you.”
31. God's cup is getting filled to the brim each passing day.
32. God's judgement has already begun to fall on the people in the nations that are not awake yet.
33. God’s judgement has already begun to fall on the peoples of the earth who disobey Him.
34. All that God is doing right now… is merely slowly taking His hand of restraint away from the world.
35. What God has begun to do… is leave the people to the consequences of their choices.
36. But instead of repenting, we are in a spiritual sleep.
37. We seek after money and power and forsake God.
38. We seek after our comfort and television entertainment more than we spend time with God.
39. And instead of repenting… we ignore the problem.
40. The Lord said to Abraham that He is about to go for an inspection of Sodom…
41. but He knew ahead of time that Sodom would not pass inspection.
42. Do you see what was happening here?
43. Abraham began immediately to intercede for Sodom.
44. He knew that his nephew was there…
45. and he began to ask the Lord on behalf of his lukewarm Christian nephew.
46. My listening friends, I want you to listen very carefully to what I am going to tell you
47. If you want to know the level of your spiritual maturity…
48. measure the time you spent in prayer on behalf of someone else.
49. Do you spend your prayer time only asking for things for yourself?
50. Or do you deliberately intercede… even with tears on behalf of others.
51. Here we see Abraham not only interceding, but trying to bargain with the Lord.
52. Abraham started with 50…
53. asking if there were 50 righteous would the Lord to spare the city…
54. knowing that he will have to come down in number if he was to persuade the Lord to change his mind.
55. Then he went to 40,
56. then to 30,
57. then to 20,
58. and then to 10.
59. Abraham was hoping that Lot would have witnessed to at least 5 other people.
60. There are three things the Lord does before He withdraws His hand of blessing
61. with three certain result of judgement.
63. He holds an inquest on the moral condition before the judgement comes.
65. God is accessible to His people's earnest intercession.
67. a few righteous persons can make a difference.
68. God agreed to spare Sodom and Gomorrah if 10 righteous people could be found.
69. But 10 could not be found
70. and God had to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah.
71. Let me summarize Genesis 19 for you.
72. The angelic messengers sent by God to Sodom found Lot at the city gate.
73. That means he was presiding over the city council.
74. He probably was the mayor of the city.
75. When the heavenly visitors came to Abraham…
76. they found him in the place of obedience.
77. But when they came to Lot…
78. he was in the place of worldly involvement.
79. When you read this chapter for yourselves, I want you to notice verse 16 of chapter 19.
80. That’s: when the angels urged him to leave… the Bible said Lot hesitated.
81. He could not give up… all of his worldly accumulation.
82. He could not give up… all of his prestige and acceptability.
83. He could not give up… all of his real estate holdings.
84. But the tragic truth is that he had to be led forcefully out of town.
85. The angelic visitors seized his hand and the hand of his wife and daughters and forced them out.
86. My listening friends, I want to ask you a question.
87. If the Angels of the Lord come and visit you today…
88. where would they find you?
89. In the place of obedience or in the place of worldly pursuits?
90. God is trying to rescue you, but you are dragging your feet.
91. Ultimately when people who are like Lot's wife insist on looking back… they will have to pay the price.
92. Lot's life is a tragic story of a man… who becomes so blinded by worldly success… that he could not minister to his neighbors.
93. Some people believe that we are living in the last days.
94. And, God seems to be calling his faithful people to stand up… and count the cost…
95. for Jesus' return is around the corner.
96. The question is where will you be… when that day comes?
97. Will you be ready or will you be ashamed.
98. Will you say, “come, Lord Jesus?”
99. Or will you say: “I am too busy with my life right now.”
100. The Bible said that the Lord Jesus will return as a thief in the night,
101. people are spiritually asleep…
102. people are busy with their worldly pursuits.
103. The trumpet will sound…
104. and the Son of God will descend on the clouds.
105. The Judgement of God will begin.
106. Where will you be?
107. The Bible said there is only one way to escape God’s Judgement.
108. And, it is through believing in Jesus Christ and obeying Him and His word.
109. Will you come to Him today?
110. I hope you do and when you do, write to us and tell us,
111. until next time, I wish you God’s richest blessings.