1. Hello listening friends.
2. We are delighted you tuned in today.
3. For those of you joining us for the first time, we have just beginning a study of the life of Abraham.
4. In our last broadcast, we left you with the promise to look into how Abraham wasted 6 years of his life because of settling for second best.
5. How did this happen?
6. On the way to Canaan, they passed the beautiful oasis town of Haran.
7. Terah, Abraham’s father, decided to stay.
8. Haran was the sight of a great temple honoring the Moon god... and Terah got so excited about it
9. Haran, to a moon worshiper, was a holy sight!
10. Terah saw the temple to the moon worshipers... and he thought he died and went to heaven.
11. So he says to Abram, “That's it son. I came with you and this is as far as we are going to go.”
12. And Abraham said, “But Dad... God said to go to Canaan.”
13. “Oh, this is as good as Canaan... what is one place different from another?”
14. The answer is very simple.
15. It is not where God told Abraham to go.
16. Let me ask you a question.
17. How many times we settle for something short of the Lord's perfect plan for our lives?
18. How many times we come to a point in our spiritual journey and say "this is it".
19. How many times when we come to the end of our resources... and you say to yourself “this is where I'll be settling.”
20. And God is saying... NO... I want to take you beyond this.
21. Don't settle for Haran in your life.
22. Don't let fear keep you from going further.
23. Don't let fatigue stop you from progressing.
24. Don't let spiritual laziness stop you from going on.
25. Don't let the outward attraction of the valley keep you from climbing the mountains of God.
26. Here is what God is saying to us;
27. There are lessons to be learned only as you keep on going.
28. There are blessings to be received only as you continue in my plans for you.
29. There are glories that can only be seen as you obey my will for your life.
30. Here is what God is saying to you today;
31. I want to show... you that I can provide for you.
32. I want to show... you that I can set a table before you in the wilderness.
33. I want to show... you that I reign manna from Heaven.
34. I want to show... you that I can command the ravens to feed you.
35. But you have to learn not to settle in Haran.
36. Are you unwilling to take the step... that will separate you from the wrong friends.
37. Are you willing to move away from those who influence you the wrong way?
38. Is your life so cluttered up... with improper priorities?
39. Abraham at this point in his life embodies the stagnant Christian.
40. The Christian stops in this condition for years.
41. For six years, Abraham was marred in the murky water of partial obedience.
42. Oh God forbid me from partial obedience.
43. Abraham did not accomplish much for the Lord in those six years.
44. Remember this
45. Revival will not come as long as everyone is waiting for it to start with somebody else.
46. It can start with you
47. Finally, when Terah died... God renewed His call to Abraham.
48. 49) God gives Abraham a seven-fold promise.
49. At this point of His life Abraham was about 75 years old...
50. and here is what God was saying to him;
51. “Go out of your easy chair and take up where you left off six years ago.”
52. Abraham gets excited at the renewal of God's call...
53. and he goes to Nahor the only brother left and say... “Guess what Nahor...”
54. And this time Abraham wasn't about to listen to a pagan’s advice...
55. because God has spoken!
56. At this point God gives Abraham a 7-fold promise.
57. Let us read it.
58. The LORD had said to Abram, “Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.
59. “I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.
60. “I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” (Gen 12:1-3 NIV)
61. Let us listen to those 7 promises again.
62. Number 1.
63. I will make you a great nation.
64. Number 2.
65. I will bless you.
66. Number 3.
67. I will make your name great.
68. Number 4.
69. I shall make you a blessing.
70. Number 5.
71. I will bless those who bless you.
72. Number 6.
73. I will curse those who curse you.
74. Number 7.
75. In you all the families of the earth will be blessed.
76. Let’s look at the first promise.
77. God will make Abraham a great nation.
78. Think about it;
79. Abraham is an old man...
80. the whole world knows that Sarah his wife was barren.
81. Yet, God said “I'll make you into a great nation.”
82. As we shall see later on in this series from the life of Abraham how both he and his wife’s faith faltered three times.
83. Abraham thought Eliezer the Syrian servant of his. . . would become his adopted son (which was customary in those days).
84. Thus he thought Eliezer would become the heir that God promised.
85. Sarah thought that she on the other hand would help God out in fulfilling his promise...
86. by offering to Abram her maidservant Hagar.
87. This was also customary of their day.
88. Please listen to me very carefully.
89. God does not need any help in fulfillment of His promises.
91. “I will bless you.”
92. Do you know what it means to live under the blessing of God?
93. It means that God will look out for you.
94. It means that God will move on your behalf.
95. It means that God will concern Himself with your life.
96. It means that God desires always to bless you.
97. Later on Moses explains what that means in Deuteronomy 28:13.
98. Let us read it
99. And the Lord will make you the head and not the tail. You shall be above only, and not beneath. If you heed the commandments to the Lord your God which I command you today.
100. When you know the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior and the Lord of your life.
101. You are the descendent of Abraham by faith and God's promises to Abraham are your promises.
103. God will make Abraham's name great.
104. Isn't that just like the Lord?
105. He takes an obscure man from Ur of Chaldeans.
106. A nobody... that nobody ever heard of
107. And He leads him out of his land... away from his people. . .even his father's house...
108. and makes nearly three and a half billion people in the world today... clamor to identify themselves with him.
109. Jews, Christians and Muslims all identify with Abraham.
110. The fourth promise is that Abraham is to be a blessing.
111. God never blesses us so that we might simply bask in the blessing.
112. God's way of blessing is that we may be a blessing to others.
113. Abraham was blessed... Why?
114. In order that he may be a blessing to others.
115. God does not intend to stop with us.
116. God wants us to channel His blessings...
117. and the faster you pass on His blessings... the faster He refills you.
118. The fifth and sixth promises were... God blesses those who bless him and curses those who curse him.
119. This needs some explanation.
120. Abraham was a man chosen by God to be an instrument of fulfilling God's purpose for the world.
121. Those who align themselves with the purpose of God... will come under Abraham’s blessing.
122. Anyone who goes against God's purpose... will experience the curse of His judgement.
123. This is a universal principle.
124. God does not curse anybody in the sense of standing out and hurling some thunderbolts in a fit of anger.
125. 24) God's curse is the other side of blessing.
126. Go with God... and know His blessings.
127. Go against God... and know His curse.
128. If I say to you to drive your car at the speed limit and follow my direction, you will reach your destination.
129. But if you drive your car at a very high speed and do not follow my directions... you will fall off a cliff.
130. Would that be my fault?
131. Would you blame me?
132. No, you blame yourself for not following my instructions.
133. The seventh and final promise that God made to Abraham is that all the families of the earth would be blessed through him.
134. What the Lord was saying is this;
135. “One day I am going to be bringing into this world Someone who is a physical descendant of yours Abraham...
136. and when He comes...
137. He is going to bring blessings to the whole earth.”
138. Jesus the Son of Abraham is the fulfillment of the covenant promises
139. and anyone who will come to Him will be blessed...
140. anyone who will reject Him will not be blessed...
141. but will suffer the consequences of disobedience.
142. This is valid for Americans...
144. the Asians...
145. the Africans...
146. all the nations of the earth.
147. Intimacy with God...
148. the experiencing of the blessings of God...
149. the witnessing of the fulfillment of the promises of God...
150. all require waiting with God and waiting in the presence of God...
151. it requires unconditional obedience to God.
152. Are you willing to pay the price?
153. It is my prayer that you would say yes
154. Until next time, I wish you God’s richest blessing.